"So tell me, what is it that you plan to do/ with your one wild and precious life?"
--Mary Oliver

Monday, January 15, 2007

the rain and the wind

My mom sounded good on the phone today, not huffing and puffing as she usually does during conversation these days. Of course, every day she tells me things are rosy and peachy and oh so wonderful, and I have no way to verify this since I have a cold and can't get near her right now for obvious reasons. However, I have found that her opinion of her progress and that of her medical team quite often are so divergent as to bear no relation to each other whatsoever. The other day she was telling me she thought she'd be back in her apartment soon--the day after her medical team recommended 24-hour nursing care!

Thursday, we meet with a caseworker and a nurse from Allina Palliative and Hospice Care to go over her advance directive and discuss her eligibility for hospice. My feeling is that she's not quite, yet, but is getting close.

The rain to the wind said,
"You push and I'll pelt."
They so smote the garden bed
That the flowers actually knelt.
And lay lodged--though not dead.
I know how the flowers felt.
--Robert Frost

No comments: