"So tell me, what is it that you plan to do/ with your one wild and precious life?"
--Mary Oliver

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

top ten things i learned from my mother

THIS IS FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO KNEW AND LOVED MY MOM:
Top Ten Things I Learned From My Mother
(In No Particular Order)


  1. She always told me that love is the only thing that really matters. You can lose your possessions, your job, and your health, but you can always hold on to the love. And in the final analysis, it's the only thing that makes life worth living.
  2. Decorate your house with bookcases, because you can never have too many books! Nothing ever seems quite so bad if you can curl up with a good book and a cup of hot cocoa.
  3. Class is not determined by money or social position; rather, a truly classy person is one who goes out of her way to make others feel comfortable and special. Classy people are warm and gracious.
  4. You'll never get old if you are always interested in other people and continue to learn new things.
  5. Life isn't fair. But that doesn't mean it can't still be good, even wonderful, if you retain a sense of gratitude and remember what really matters.
  6. God does not send us tragedy and pain. But he does give us the strength to bear them, the courage to face them, and the grace to learn and grow from them.
  7. Listen to your heart and follow your star. You never know where they might lead you!
  8. Yes, you are your brother's--and your sister's--keeper. Always remember that "whatsoever you do unto the least of them, that you do unto me."
  9. What others think of you doesn't matter. It's what you think of yourself that counts.
  10. It takes more muscles to frown than to smile--and holding a grudge takes too much energy.
Plus Two Extra:
  1. Never, ever, take the people you love for granted. And never hesitate to say "I love you."
  2. Tough times don't last. But tough people do.
(NB: This is from the eulogy I gave at my mom's funeral on April 19, 2007)

4 comments:

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Barbara,

I'm so happy to see you "up and running" once again, and I loved learning a little more about your mother through you. She sounds like a wonderful person. You are a very fortunate daughter to have had her in your life!

Blessings,
Roxane

Barbara Marincel said...

Thanks Roxanne! She was a wonderful woman, and frankly I'm somewhat disappointed and hurt that more people who knew her haven't read and commented on this. Oh well!

Marketing Mama said...

Very nice - thank you for sharing!

SerenityByJan said...

I think it's really a gift when a mother and daughter have a good relationship. I think she sounds very wise!