"So tell me, what is it that you plan to do/ with your one wild and precious life?"
--Mary Oliver

Saturday, January 20, 2007

brief update

Mom is being evaluated for hospice now. I don't know how long the process will take. Once she's eligible, I'm hoping we can find a way to bring her home so I can care for her. I want her to die at home, with me holding her, not in some strange nursing home.

People who have worked with the dying have, apparently, found that quite often the dying person knows better than the doctors when they will die. The other day I asked my mom how long she thinks she might live and she told me she didn't have a sense that death was imminent, but it won't be a very long time. Maybe six months, she told me.

I'm too wiped out to post anymore right now. If I could, I'd just not get out of bed, but there's too much to do, and as an only child, I'm the only one who can do it. But I'm going to go hide under the covers for a while now anyway.

2 comments:

LutherLiz said...

Hey! i got your phone message from yesterday! Thanks :). I hope it helps. Make sure you do take the time you need to so you can be there to support your mom! *Hugs*

Barbara Marincel said...

Thanks Liz! I think the only thing that's keeping me going is support from family and friends. I'd collapse without it, I know I would.

I'm wearing my shawl right this moment!