"So tell me, what is it that you plan to do/ with your one wild and precious life?"
--Mary Oliver

Monday, December 18, 2006

update

Mom sounded better this morning on the phone. She was finally able to sleep last night and is breathing better. She's probably going to be in the hospital for a while, although I'm hoping she'll be out by Xmas. I've been reading up on emphysema and apparently as the disease progresses, these kind of episodes become more common; I guess what I'm really having a hard time dealing with right now is the knowledge that her emphysema is getting worse. I watched two uncles whom I loved very much die of this disease, and it's a horrible, horrible way to die. It's like suffocating to death very slowly, over the course of months and years. As much as I dread the thought of losing my mom, seeing her suffer is going to be far worse.

I am trying to be strong and keep a positive attitude for her--she always worries more about me than about herself--but it's difficult. I don't know what I'd do without George, he's being just WONDERFUL. I still can't believe how lucky I am to have him.

2 comments:

LutherLiz said...

How hard that must be. I'm glad to hear your mother is improving. And I hope her episodes are few and far between.

Barbara Marincel said...

Liz,
Thanks for the kind thoughts. It really helps to have the support of friends right now!

BTW, did you get my email last week? A couple of other people didn't get emails I sent then, so I'm wondering if my hotmail account is misbehaving.