"So tell me, what is it that you plan to do/ with your one wild and precious life?"
--Mary Oliver

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

another blow

So we no longer need to worry about how to afford a Chinese adoption, as the Chinese government in their wisdom is instituting new requirements that bar anyone taking antidepressants from becoming an adoptive parents. HELLO, depression is a very treatable BIOLOGICAL illness!!!!! What century are these people living in anyway?

And how many other countries, agencies, etc., are going to think George and I are unqualified because I'm being treated for depression?

I am so angry about being stigmatized in this way, and so terrified we'll never be able to adopt, that I've been throwing up all morning. And that is, for the record, NOT because I'm taking antidepressants. It's because, with all of the scientific research confirming the biological basis of depression, I naively thought such ignorance and bigotry was a thing of the past.

I would be a better mother than a lot of people who've never seen a shrink in their entire lives. So there!

No comments: