- Only 2% of the world population are natural redheads.
- 4% of the American population are natural redheads.
- The "ginger gene," the gene responsible for red hair, was discovered by Jonathan Rees at the University of Edinburgh.
- In 2001 an Irish judge fined a man for disorderly conduct, stating, "I am a firm believer that hair coloring has an effect on temper, and your coloring suggests you have a temper." (Perhaps the judge was married to a redhead.)
- Botticelli's The Birth of Venus depicts the mythological goddess as a redhead.
- Between 1483 and 1784, approximately 45,000 women were executed as witches because they possessed "witch marks," including red hair.
- Redheaded women require 20% more anesthesia to block movement in response to painful stimulation than blonds or brunettes.
- In 1993 Bruce Springsteen first sang the lyrics, "You ain't lived until you've had your tires rotated by a redheaded woman."
"You'd find it easier to be bad than good if you had red hair. People who haven't red hair don't know what trouble it is."
--Anne of Green Gables