"So tell me, what is it that you plan to do/ with your one wild and precious life?"
--Mary Oliver

Sunday, December 17, 2006

trip to the hospital

My mom is in the hospital for an emphysema flare-up. She called me yesterday and told me she was starting to have trouble breathing, and she thought maybe I should take her to the hospital. When I got to her place, though, she was having so much touble, even hooked up to her oxygen, that I called 911 despite the fact that Abbott Northwestern was only three blocks away. To make a long story short, she's in the Respiratory Care unit at Abbott, I don't know for how long because she hasn't seen the doctor yet today. At least she's as cheerful and optimistic as ever; she always has such a positive attitude (I take after my dad, the family pessimist).

I just feel numb, sick and depressed. Every time this happens, I realize that I could lose her at any time, and I don't know what I'll do without her. I love her so much. She's my rock. Please, if anyone's reading this, please keep her in your prayers.

No comments: