"So tell me, what is it that you plan to do/ with your one wild and precious life?"
--Mary Oliver

Saturday, November 04, 2006

discernment

So here's my prayer for the day:
Lord, teach me to be generous,
Teach me to serve you as you deserve,
to give and not count the cost,
to fight and not heed the wounds,
to toil and not seek for rest,
to labor and not ask for reward,
save that of knowing that I do your will.
--St. Ignatius of Loyola (founder of the Jesuit order), The Spiritual Exercises
When someone is given a great deal, a great deal will be demanded of that person;
when someone is entrusted with a great deal, of that person even more will be expected.
(Luke 12:48)

Or to paraphrase, what Fr. Neenan (good Jesuit that he is) said to begin my Boston College orientation: "To whom much has been given, much is expected." (The Jesuit mantra, at least the B.C. Jesuits!)

This has been on my mind a lot lately. I've believed this for years. But belief is one thing, putting that belief into practice is another. Please pray for me as I struggle with the question of how. How do I use my gifts (for I know that I have been very, very blessed) in a responsible way, in spite of my physical, etc. limitations? How do I discern what God's call is for me today?

"The greatest glory of God is the human person fully alive."
--St Ignatius of Lyons (or Antioch? I don't remember!)

No comments: